Monday, July 16, 2007

2004 Chevrolet Impala Oil Change

Well I did my sister's oil change yesterday on her 2004 Chevy Impala with a 3.4 liter V6. I bought the parts at AutoZone . Oil filter ACDelco PF47 and 5 quarts of 10W-30(Coastal). Steps in the process:

1.Getting access to oil pan and filter - I generally use a set of steel ramps for this. After guiding the car up onto the ramps I set the emergency brake and placed wheel chock in back of the rear tires to prevent movement.

Oil filter accessible between front engine mounts

2.Locating drain plug and oil filter - I have a 2000 Impala but it has a 3.8liter V6 so the set up is a little different. The drain plug was in it's normal area but the filter was in a different spot. In this case it was located on the front of the engine. Though it was accessible from underneath I decided it was easier (and less messy ) to be able to reach from the top. It is reachable between the top front engine mounts. GM engineers decided to place some wires just underneath the oil filter with no slack. I covered them with a rag as to not coat the wires in oil.3. Draining the oil - I placed a drain pan underneath the oil pan.Using the ratchet and 13mm socket. I loosened the drain plug and and took off the drain plug and let the oil drain out.
4. Oil Filter removal - After the oil was drained I moved pan underneath where the filter is located.Using a medium size wrap around oil filter wrench I proceeded to remove oil filter. Trying to take care enough to minimize oil spillage. Being accessible from the top was definitely a plus.


Old(right) filter and new(left).

5. Oil filter and drain plug installation - Now I took the new filter(ACDelco PF47) and primed it. Meaning I filled it about halfway and applied some new oil to the ring. Priming it gives the oil a head start to the bearings when the engine is first started. An engine is most vulnerable when first starting and this will help.I screw on the filter until it makes full contact then snug it up with the wrench (usually about 3/4 turn is recommended). Installed the drain plug and tightened up firmly but, not too much as not to ruin the threads or damage the gasket.

6. Add oil - I then filled up with 10W-30 oil which is recommended for this engine. Taking care enough to avoid spillage. Then after replacing the oil cap when done I started engine up and checked for leaks. Also rechecked the oil level and then everything was done(aside from cleanup).

That's it. I'll probably see this again in about 3000 miles and do it over again.

Note , 7/11/09: I've updated the socket size (13mm) and I used a Purolator One Oil Filter PL10111 on latest oil change today.

No comments: